History of Hope United Presbyterian Church
On February 4, 1959, a meeting was held to consider the organization of a Presbyterian Church in Plainfield
with the Rev. Roy Mueller, National Missions Executive, Synod of Indiana. With the persistent effort of a very
small group of interested persons, the work of establishing a Presbyterian Mission was initiated and plans were
made to hold Sunday services.
The first services were held in February of 1959, in the Plainfield Public Library. Services were held weekly,
with church school meeting at the same time. For the most part, laymen from Indianapolis came to conduct
services until September 1959 when the Rev. Robert Alexander, chaplain of Central State Hospital, came to
serve the mission on a part time basis. In September, also, the American Legion Hall was secured as a meeting
place, where services and other activities were held.
On September 15, 1960 the Rev. C. Luther Bostrom of Lewiston, New York was called to serve the church as
organizing pastor under the sponsorship of the National Missions Committee of the Synod of Indiana, as the
first full-time resident minister. A community survey was soon undertaken and revealed that there were a
substantial number of Presbyterian families living in the area not affiliated with any church.
Organization of the church soon followed on March 12, 1961 with sixty-six charter members. Meanwhile,
negotiations were completed by Mr. John M. Smith, National Missions Executive for five acres on Section
Street at Lawndale where a large sign was erected stating that Hope United Presbyterian Church would be
erected on the site in the not too distant future.
On October 1, 1961, the first Building Fund campaign of Hope Church was held and resulted in pledges and
gifts of over $30,000 which made it possible for the Ivan Gwaltney Company to begin work on our building on
June 13, 1962. On October 7, 1962, the Rev. C. Luther Bostrom was installed as pastor. On January 21, 1963,
our building was accepted as essentially complete and the members of the congregation took part in the
finishing and decoration of the church.
On February 3, 1963, the first service was held in our new building and on March 10, 1963, with solemn
services by the Presbytery of Indianapolis, the service of dedication was held.